It’s that time of year again when we invite Expressions of Interest from anyone considering applying for IGNITE 2016.
The EOI doesn’t require much information but it is a great way to clarify your idea and how you think the programme will help.
Apart from contact details, qualification details and where you first heard about us (asking this question is the cardinal rule of marketing!), we just want a brief description of your product or service (150 words or less) and an explanation of how you expect to benefit from the programme (again 150 words or less). Email the lot to email@example.com.
Those with Expressions of Interest registered will be invited to a series of workshops and seminars in early 2015 that are designed to help you develop your business idea so that you can submit a more comprehensive application and be better prepared to make the most of the programme, if successful.
We’re now recruiting for our 6th programme. And it’s interesting to see where past participants came from and how they are doing.
IGNITE founders come from a variety of backgrounds and qualifications and their ideas are inspired by research, academic studies, work experience and personal interests.
- Teagasc/UCC PhD postgraduate, Sinead Bleiel (formerly Doherty), founded AnaBio Technologies Ltd, anabio.ie, in 2012. AnaBio provides encapsulation expertise, IP generation, commercial manufacture and licensing for food, pharma, animal and human health nutrition markets. The company now employs 5, mainly research staff based in Teagasc, Moorepark and UCD. Sinead was recipient of Cork Chamber of Commerce Cork Emerging Company of the Year Award in 2014.
- Brendan Finucane, BSc (Business Information Systems), is founder of VConnecta Ltd, vconnecta.com. Vconnecta combines political experience with cloud & mobile technology to deliver an innovative voter relationship management tool. The company employs a team of 5 based in Cork City Centre.
- Richard Barrett, BEd (Sports Studies and Physical Education) and Ross O’Dwyer (BComm) are founders of Pundit Arena, punditarena.com, an online social sports platform that enables sport enthusiasts to share news and views on all matters sport. The company employs five staff and is based in Cork.
- Eoin O’Carroll and Kevin Bambury met while completing an MBS (E-Business) in UCC. They founded Portable Medical Technology, www.portablemedicaltechnology.com, to develop mobile decision support tools for medical professionals.
- With a BA in TV, Radio and New Media Broadcasting from the Institute of Technology Tralee, Stephanie Lynch, founded OnTheQT.ie, ontheqt.ie, in 2013. OnTheQT showcases throughout Ireland and worldwide that locals fall in love with and return to again and again. Promoting the gems through video and blog content. OnTheQT is a travel hub by the locals for the explorer.
- UCC BSc in Government graduate Jayne Ronayne co-founded UrYearBook with David Murray in 2011. The insights she gained speaking with educational institutions helped identify a new opportunity that led to KonnectAgain, konnectagain.com, co-founded with Helen Flynn. KonnectAgain helps institutions to unlock the true potential of their alumni network and create real, meaningful benefits for institutions and alumni. The company currently employs a team of 8.
Our goal is that every business is revenue generating and/or has raised investment over the duration of the programme. It’s an ambitious goal, one we work hard to achieve.
Every year, the 10 successful applicant businesses benefit from:
- A comprehensive Start Your Own Business Programme that involves:
- About 30 days of workshops
- Guest speaker events
- Business advice and guidance from on-site business mentor
- Start-up funding and advice and guidance on accessing further funding
- Office accommodation in the IGNITE Graduate Business Innovation Centre in UCC’s Western Gateway Building
- One to one business mentoring from leading entrepreneurs
- Guidance from UCC’s ‘Coaches on Campus’
- Information and advice from IGNITE’s Industry Partners
- Access to key entrepreneur networks and regular networking events
- Support of UCC’s academic, research and commercialisation expertise
For more information and to keep up to date:
L: IGNITE Graduate Business Innovation Programme